Monday 12 September 2016

Chauvinist Alert!

 The signs were hard to conceal. It was all there, in his manner of approach, the derogatory look, everything. No one had to tell me that Tunechi was an upcoming male chauvinist.
We all get to experience chauvinism in different ways in Naija, in tribes, in language, in course of study and a lot more. Yes, unwarranted bias and favoritism for one's own. naturally, such devotion makes us look down on those who do not belong to whatever group we belong to.
Well, recently, I experienced something of the sort and it had to do with chauvinism relating to gender. It wasnt totally an experience, more like something i noticed, I wouldn't speak of it if I had not noticed a pattern. I am a very observant lady and this guy, Tunechi ( my chauvinist hypothesis) is a friend of a friend. Tunechi comes to my friend's room frequently just like a lot of guys in the apartment. So, I've seen him relate with familiar land unfamiliar guys in a nice and courteous. But on three occasions, I have watched Tunechi's relation with the feminine gender including myself. The first time, I had asked him who and if he changed the channel from the on the Go TV station and he gave me this "I think you have lost your mind" look and turned to the TV ignoring me totally. I asked again, this time, Kesh, my sis joined in asking, he turned, sized us, scoffed and turned to the TV. I let him be but my sis couldn't and she requested that he returned to the channel everyone was previously interested in. Tunechi stood up, dropped the remote on the table and was about to leave the room when one of the guys in the room said "Guy, you want to go out like that? Change the channel na" And he did. On the second occasion, I went to Chiugo's room to get my mop. His girlfriend was there and Tunechi came in, saw us both, he didn't mutter as much as a greeting, wandered around the room looking for something and when he didn't find what he was looking for, his ego then realized that Blessing, Chiugo's girlfriend was present, he asked her "Come, where did Chiugo keep his headphone?" and without bothering to hear what she had to say, he added, "Just come and look for it". Honestly,considering Tunechi's tone, if I had entered the room at that moment, my thought will be that Blessing was the one who misplaced the headphone. My view is not that Tunechi is a male chauvinist but I believe he is getting there.
We all have to say no to extreme chauvinism, if someone can't respect us or looks down on us because they feel superior to us, they, as well, do not deserve to be respected, tolerated or even condoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment