Wednesday 14 September 2016

Treading the streets of Ifite-Awka like on a runway





Have you ever walked on a runway, the  narrow platform used in fashion shows and display by models. Due to its constricted form, one needs to walk consciously else there will be a fall, that's why the models are trained to walk the runway. Not everyone has the knack for walking the runway, the task is herculean so those who can try it while those who cant , stay put. Although, it seems the ifite road in Awka is compelling its town's residents to learn the runway walk as one has to tread carefully since the rainy season.
The road leading to ifite from Amansea in Awka, Anambra gets worse with each passing day. This road connects to a federal university in Nigeria  and poses constant difficulty especially to the students.
Cars and buses break down  on the road daily often obstructing people who are in a hurry to get to their businesses or duties. Unsuspecting passers-by sometimes get stuck on the road too.  A final year student was on his way to school for his project defense when the motor bike he had gotten on sped over a muddy  part of the road and splashed mud on his white shirt. I have also had my share of this sad experience, twice to be precise. Some days ago, I was at a viewing centre watching a football match and decided to get satchet water to drink, I came out to the nearest shop, every corner was flooded as it had been raining so when I noticed heaps of sand along the road, I felt lucky, there was somewhere to walk on. My first step on the heap took me deep into the sand, I kept moving hoping to find a spot that wasn't in the form of a sinking sand until I was stuck and couldn't get out. I got help from a shop owner who brought my foot wear out from the mud. On the second occasion, the bike I had taken, lost control and I found myself on the ground alongside the rider and his motor bike.
Due to its unfavourable state, accidents occur frequently in the town. The fact that this road leads to a tertiary institution of such position as the Nnamdi Azikiwe University is appalling. Will the state government do something about it as promised "centuries" ago  or are the residents to keep walking the runway?

No comments:

Post a Comment