Tuesday 20 September 2016

The ironical serenity in a hustle and bustle town

I didn't anticipate my sojourn in this town, this ever busy town called Nnewi. I had tried and failed to speculate how my stay would turn out. Many call it the town of Okada ( motor bike). Its considered one of the busiest and business-centered towns. Of course, as soon as I alighted the bus on getting there,I heard it, the noise and activity welcoming me to the place. I got on a motor bike that took me to the street where my cousins lived. Since the transport vehicle I boarded, got into Nnewi late, it was almost dark when I reached my cousins' home. I was so tired, I didn't bother to look around. I freshened up hurriedly after being welcomed by my cousins and I slept shortly after. Imagine my surprise when I drew the curtains the next day and a gentle breeze caressed my face. I looked around, at the lush greenery, far from the dusty and dry leaves I expected and everyday, from then, I never ceased to admire the beauty of the surroundings, the sublime way in which the light green color of the flat complemented the banana and pawpaw leaves on the trees surrounding the area, the neatly washed roads, the morning dew on the shrubs. I would look down and see the children who lived in the flat too, climb into their parents' cars with their properly starched uniforms in a neat fashion. It wasnt what i had pictured. When walking on the streets, especially in the mornings, I took slow steps so I could savor the tranquility the street brought. Where I expected to hear loud car honks and siren alarms, I heard rustling. It made me feel as one with nature, the peace I felt, the serenity of this Nnewi I had come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment