Monday 12 September 2016

The consequences of naivety in Naija

People have always told me I have got this "good girl" face so maybe that's what the phone repairer saw when he nearly cleared my bank accounts under the pretext of repairing my phone. It hurts to be used like that , in these hard times.
My Infinix phone was malfunctioning. I needed a place to repair it so I told my sister who sent me the number of a guy who was good at it. On getting to the place where I was to meet the guy, his line mysteriously went off so I was left with no choice than to find another. That's where my travails began, firstly, he said " ah, the phone has virus o, no be battery problem, we gats flash am". After giving me his word that as soon as it was flashed, the phone will function properly, I paid him. He flashed it and nothing happened. Secondly, he said "since the phone fell inside water sometime ago, I have to clean it". I paid him for that too, still, no progress. Then he suggested inserting a new battery which he insisted was not the problem initially and I agreed and Voila! the phone started functioning. Good girl, that I am, I did not even request for a refund of the initial payments I made. After all, my goal was to get the phone to function and it did. When I got home and my friends started asking the cost of the repair, I told them and behold screams from all angles about how the guy exploited me. Then someone worsened it by saying " Na because you be woman" . Its bad enough that I was exploited but for someone to conclude that it was as a result of my gender was heart rending. To top it all, the phone guy made it look like he was doing me a favor
Lesson of the day: In Nigeria, always haggle the price of anything except things with fixed prices because no matter how fair the price may seem to you, you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment